The Sharjah International Book Fair Awards 2017
Under the guidance of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad AlQasimi, Member of the Supreme Council of the UAE and Ruler of Sharjah,the Sharjah International Book Fair (SIBF), under the flagship of Sharjah Book Authority, continues to develop and expand its annual book awards programm. As an established and annual international cultural event, activities of the SIBF cover more than just promoting Arabic and international books and the publishing industry. The event runs intellectual, cultural and artistic activities and has established awards programs in accordance with nomination and selection mechanisms implemented around the year.
The 2017 SIBF awards program includes the following:
The Cultural Personality of the Year Award
This award is given to a person or organization active in the field of culture. The winner of the Cultural Personality of the Year Award is selected in accordance with the guidance of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan Bin Mohammad Al Qasimi, Member of the Supreme Council of the UAE, Ruler of Sharjah, and announced annually prior to SIBF. Winners are selected based on their contribution to the cultural scene in general, their productivity in the field of writing and creativity, or their roles in the government or social-cultural activities.
The Sharjah Award for an Emirati Book
This award is meant to encourage Emirati writers and publishers to meets the requirements of science and knowledge development in the UAE. The Sharjah Award for an Emirati Book promotes the role of published books whether academic, compilation, or translations.
•The Best Emirati Book by an Emirati Creative Writer
•The Best Emirati Academic Book
•The Best Emirati Foreign Translated Book
•The Best Emirati Book about the UAE
•Encouraging local writers and publishers to meet the requirement of science and knowledge development in the UAE
•Encouraging sustainable productivity of local creative writers and communicating their productions
•Encouraging local academic studies on different local issues in the UAE in the fields of arts, literature, environment and science
•Promoting the translations of books on different local issues in the UAE to promote a dialogue and introduce the UAE internationally through writings in the fields of creativity, history, art and science
•Encouraging and enabling publishers to produce high calibre work on the UAE and developing the local publishing industry
General Conditions for the Emirati Book Awards:
• Nominated book must be new and unique in its field.
• The first edition of the nominated book must have been published in the past one year prior to current SIBF.
• Nominated book should not be a revised edition.
• Nominated writer must not have won the Best Emirati Book by an Emirati Creative Writer in the past two years.
• Nominated book must not have won a literary award before.
• SIBF organizers shall not return submitted copies to nominees.
• SIBF organizers shall have the right to use covers of and excerpts from awarded books in all types of SIBF marketing communications without taking the approval from the publisher or writer.
• Winning writers shall be invited to attend the awards ceremony prior to current SIBF
• The candidates have no right to contest any of the jury decisions.
• The next award shall be announced after closing the current SIBF each year.
• Nominations shall be closed at the end of August of each year.
• Winners shall be announced at the start of the current SIBF.
• The value of the prize will be divided equally between the author and the publishing house, unless the publishing contract and intellectual property rights state otherwise.
• Recognition and appreciation shall be for the author alone.
The Best Emirati Foreign Translated Book:
The nominated translated book should discuss various UAE national issues such as history, society or the environment. It can also cover the different aspects of national culture, creativity, or community.
The prize money for this award is 50,000 DHS
•Nominated writer does not need to be an Emirati.
•Nominated book must not have been translated before.
•Nominated book is preferred to be translated into Arabic directly from original language.
•Nominated book shall be accepted in Arabic or foreign language.
•Nominated book must meet the highest levels of accuracy and professionalism in translation.
•Translation permission by the holder of the intellectual rights must be provided.
•Please see the general conditions for the Emirati Book Awards.
For more information, please click here.